Sunday, October 22, 2006

People - My Sister Lili

A Saturday noon, I was doing household chores and waiting for my wife to have lunch together. We lived in a small apartment in downdown Lima, that a friend rented us for a nominal amount. Suddenly I heard my wife shouting. I opened the door and I saw her being followed by a large man with angry expression. I asked my wife to enter our apartment , closed the door behind me and faced the man. What is going on? I asked. The man did not respond but ran to the bottom of the passage. I followed him. He picked from the floor the heavy iron cover of a drain, swinging it as if he was going to blow my brains out. I thought that under these conditions the best defense was to attack immediately and tried to get closer, but since my eyes focused on the man's hands, I tripped on the drain the man just uncovered and fell to the floor. The man got closer to me. I thought I was going to die.

To my luck my sister Lili arrived to visit in that precise moment. Seeing the man attacking me she acted immediately. Jumping up in the air she hit the man on his chest with both feet, then clipped the man to the floor, twisting his arm on his back. Somebody came to inform the man was a schizophrenic neighbor, his relatives appeared to control him.

I had thought that in a gesture of chivalry I was going to defend my lady on that day. Instead, I ended up being saved by a lady.

1 comment:

Miguel Reynel said...

wonderful!